I have another Youth Group Winter Retreat coming up soon. I have enjoyed being able to speak for different groups over the last few months. I welcome the opportunity to speak at these camps for several reasons:
- Consistent time in the Scriptures preparing for different messages (especially with the varying themes) is always a plus!
- Relating with youth from a variety of backgrounds (region, socioeconomics, race, etc.) keeps me up to speed with the youth culture and helps with all other avenues of Youthmark.
- Getting away with adults who love teens. Youth Leaders (especially the volunteers) are my heroes! This group is under-appreciated and I look at these camps as an opportunity to celebrate them. This is also helpful to get to hear their heart so I can speak to some of those areas in future Projects as well.
- Some of the camps/retreats give me the opportunity to do some new and/or fun things: Some camps have had bungee jumping, climbing/repelling, street luge, skiing (snow and water, but never at the same camp, ha), boating, and much more!
- Stealing ideas for future camps and retreats… technology, games, skits, and more; show me good stuff and I’ll take it (and sometimes give the credit to others! Ha.)
- I am often invited to bring my family; we take advantage of this from time to time; I do look forward to camps in the future when I bring just one of my kids as well. That dedicated time with just Halle, Audrey or Will will be a lot of fun. And, Lord willing, I look forward to sometime doing a camp with just me and Elisabeth again too (thanks to great Family loving on our kids).
So, pray for Rose Hill Presbyterian Church as we get to do a retreat together soon!